Read Ch. 10 & 12 and 1 chapter of choice

Dewey week 4

Dewey week 4

by Hunter Dewey -
Number of replies: 2

Word work is something they learn in primary grades… but is it?

I disagree with the statement. I know it occurs in my classroom. Students need to understand words in a question on the regents to be able to answer it correctly. We go over what historical context/ historical circumstances mean, geographical context, bias, point of view, etc. When I mentioned Bastille, I made a joke on the PowerPoint that it was not the band. It was a bunch of Parisians who invaded the prison trying to find weapons, based on a rumor that weapons were stored there. They found no weapons. Like math teachers need to explain to students what justify, explain means, etc. The analysis will look different in social studies compared to science and English. 

I need to work on making sure students understand when I switch terms, as mentioned in the scenario on 175 and 176. 

I use compare and contrast interchangeably with similarities and differences. I use historical context interchangeably with historical circumstances. I use "what did it lead to" interchangeably with historical significance. 

Social studies has a bunch of tier-three words. We have new tier-three words about every day. 

I can connect with the science teacher who doesn't have time to teach vocabulary. I put down definitions underneath or on a separate page that students might need clarification on that are not directly related to social studies. There is no way to review every word they might need clarification on. 

-How do we support students who did not master “breaking the code”? 

We need to figure out what exactly the problem is and try to help them improve what is the cause of the problem. It is important to teach students what the question is asking. This puts students at a disadvantage that potentially have the correct answer but need clarification on the terminology in the question. 

-What did you learn in this chapter and how will you apply it to your instruction?

I will use semantic maps to teach multiple enduring issue themes in Global 9 before moving them to their project poster. Before moving to the poster, this could be an excellent pre-exercise to ensure they understand their topic. 

I need to work on prompting during oral reading or speaking. This will give the student a skill set to figure out words independently instead of depending on others. I could have benefited from this when I was a student. 

-Small group instruction is most useful for remediation.

Do you incorporate these into your teaching? How could you?

I do incorporate small group instruction in my classroom. I have yet to use it really for remediation. I will incorporate this upcoming school year for remediation purposes. I think it could be a good tool when first learning about enduring issue essays, analysis, themes, etc. 

-Name & Summarize (a few sentences) about the “other” chapter you read.

I read chapter eleven, "Pre Teaching Vocabulary." The first thing it goes against is teaching words ahead of time. It doesn't help students understand other texts with that word, as they must be given the context when they are first taught these words. If you pre-teach words, you need to select words crucial to understanding the main idea, not the ones you think students will need help understanding. I need to incorporate that this year when I put definitions in social studies readings. 

I do appreciate the spelling chapter. I have had this debate regarding proper English conventions in my graduate school program. I think all teachers should be taking points off for improper capitalization, spelling, grammar, etc. My grad professor didn't want that discussion because he disagreed with that premise. I had another education professor who made a legitimate claim that she didn't grade for capitalization, spelling, etc., because she didn't teach that. She believed it wasn't fair to grade or take points off for something she didn't teach. My philosophy with it regarding enduring issue essays, an essay plagued with many organization, spelling, capitalization, mechanics, etc. errors hinders the reader from understanding their essay. Therefore, it does matter.

In reply to Hunter Dewey

Re: Dewey week 4

by Wendy Rufa -
To your point with spelling, capitalization, mechanics, sometimes I feel like it's the hill I might just die on! It does hinder comprehension, I do teach, model, throw actual examples from students (anonymously) on the board...but it does not seem to hardly ever improve. Then, I look at social media and think does anyone care anymore? Plus the texting shortcuts creeping into formal writing (IYKYK). So, what will actually make it stick? I think that is the ultimate question. As you know, correcting for all these errors in conventions takes A TON OF TIME, even if counting them, and I am finding the same mistakes on their next piece.
In reply to Wendy Rufa

Re: Dewey week 4

by Hunter Dewey -
I believe that the students do not fully grasp the importance of spelling etc. It is very important in the process of applying for jobs and to enter quality college programs. Employers will throw out applications that contain those mistakes because it shows carelessness.

I hope you enjoy your last full week of summer break!