Read Ch. 10 & 12 and 1 chapter of choice

Rufa: Week 4

Rufa: Week 4

by Wendy Rufa -
Number of replies: 5

-How do we support students who did not master “breaking the code”?  

One way that we can help students to master reading would be to question what they already know about the words  they are struggling with that hinder comprehension.  I really like the Figure 10.1 on pages 168-169.  If you can determine where the problem(s) lie, then there are scaffolding methods to assist with vocabulary acquisition.  I like the study of Roots and Affixes because I find that it aides comprehension immensely.  

-What did you learn in this chapter and how will you apply it to your instruction?

I learned the importance of Words Across Context.  This was brought up in an earlier chapter regarding the understanding of a passage about a refugee camp.  It was determined that the students may have confused the word "camp" since it has multiple meanings, and students may have associated this word with their knowledge of camping.  I am going to go back to this- to me neglected area of word work with homophones and homographs.

Do you incorporate these into your teaching?  How could you?

I am fortunate to have an ELA block that allows me to teach small groups.  I am going to focus more on word study than I have in the past.  Even with 85-90 minutes of instructional time, I feel like the Literacy standards are immense especially BOTH reading and writing.  I really loved the "Words Across Context" strategy and I will definitely incorporate it.  I am thinking about adding it into my question of the day section of bell ringers.

Additional Chapter: 13 Spelling

I HAD to read this chapter because I understand and have considered all things about spelling.  It should be studied for those who struggle with basic words and families.  I am going to consider going back to Words Their Way which meets students at their level and focuses on word families.  I struggle with adding one more item to my already full curriculum, but maybe I can do a few weeks every quarter- or something like that.  I do tell the students how lucky are that they have Google constantly correcting them, but it doesn't teach them, and it often does not pick up their attempts.

In reply to Wendy Rufa

Re: Rufa: Week 4

by Emily Hunt -
Hello! I enjoyed reading your summary of chapter 13 because I didn't read that chapter. I remember memorizing spelling lists when I was a student and feel lucky that we have additional resources to teach spelling now.
In reply to Wendy Rufa

by Christine Merry -
" I am going to consider going back to Words Their Way which meets students at their level and focuses on word families. I struggle with adding one more item to my already full curriculum, but maybe I can do a few weeks every quarter- or something like that."- I have been using Words Their Way for over 20 years. It has been a game-changer for me. I hope that you can somehow work it into your schedule. I wish you luck, as I know how challenging schedules can be.
In reply to Christine Merry

by Wendy Rufa -

Thanks for your advice, now I will definitely figure out how to fit this in.  Are you self contained?

In reply to Wendy Rufa

by Christine Merry -
Hi Wendy,
I teach self-contained third grade. I'm fortunate to have flexibility in my schedule. This year I have 20 minutes each day for word work. I'm so excited about this, now all I have to do is get creative in order to fit everything in:):)
In reply to Wendy Rufa

by Nikki Phippen -
I teach AIS reading and I use Words Their Way with my students and I find it beneficial. Spelling is important and as Beers said, "spell check is not the answer." This past year was the first time that I have used that program and I am hoping to learn more so that my students can continue to benefit from it.