Read Ch. 10 & 12 and 1 chapter of choice

Week #4-Merry

Week #4-Merry

by Christine Merry -
Number of replies: 6

Word work is something they learn in primary grades… but is it?
Word work is a practice that I use in my 3rd grade classroom daily.  For me, many skills fall under this word work umbrella.  Word work refers to Spelling.  My students have Spelling built into their schedule, daily. I use Words Their Way and have 2-3 groups depending on developmental level based on the WTW Spelling Inventory. I have used Words Their Way for 20+ years and I am a huge fan and advocate.  Any time I can convert my colleagues, I do.  :):) Word Work refers to vocabulary.  I teach this formally and informally.  It covers all subject areas, we have a word of the week, we study prefixes and suffixes and so much more.  If Phonics instruction is needed this is done in a small group setting of either guided reading or AIS.  Word work is an ongoing practice that covers many areas.  In my humble opinion, it should NOT only be taught in the primary grades.  It is quite impactful beyond the primary grades. Word work is a lifelong skill.  I, myself, love to learn new words and new things about words.  I like to add words to my everyday vocabulary.  

-How do we support students who did not master “breaking the code”? 
This is where the "Instructional Assessment Chart" on the inside of the front cover will be key.  If a student has difficulty recognizing sight words, decoding single-syllable and multisyllabic words automatically, reading with fluency and prosody, spelling words correctly, using roots and affixes to understand unknown words and using signal words to navigate text THEN this student needs help with word recognition, spelling, fluency, signal words and improving vocabulary, SEE chapters 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15.  I have been waiting for this section.  This is the section that I really need.  These skills have been skills that I have been trying to learn everything I can about, so that I can improve. Students are coming to third grade reading at lower levels and it is important that I have all the necessary tools and knowledge to help them learn and grow.  This year I have 2 students at a running record level of C and one at an E. This is not my comfort zone, I need to learn, grow and improve.  I never want to let them down.  We support students who do not master “breaking the code” by reading, learning and internalizing these chapters so that we know exactly what to do in each individual instance with each individual student.  We support them by using all that we have learned in these chapters!! 

-What did you learn in this chapter and how will you apply it to your instruction?
I love Figure 10.1 and will use these if/then questions.  This chart is going in my binder.  I am thrilled to have all of the resources in the appendices at my fingertips.  I know I need to tweak my vocab instruction but there was a powerful part on page 171→“ When our less skilled readers don’t read, then they lose an important method of learning tier 2 words.  That is why volume of reading is necessary to reading comprehension.”  I will use all of the strategies and scaffolds but I am going to create more opportunities for independent reading and I am going to do more to encourage reading at home.  Stay tuned…I’m not sure of what that looks like right now but it is on my priority list. 

-Small group instruction is most useful for remediation.  Do you incorporate these into your teaching?  How could you?
I use small group instruction all day long in my room.  I use small groups for:
-guided reading, writing, math
-strategy reading, writing, math groups
-spelling groups
-AIS- reading or math groups

The magic happens in small groups.  The growth happens in small groups.  Those who don’t use their voices in whole group instruction use their voices in small group instruction.  Small groups have made a huge difference in how I teach and how my kids learn.  We love small group instruction!

-Name & Summarize (a few sentences) about the “other” chapter you read.

Chapter 11- “Preteaching Vocabulary”- Preteaching specific words before students read a text helps them understand the text, BUT that knowledge doesn’t help them understand other texts unless those words show up again.  Direct instruction of vocab helps, BUT it isn’t an efficient way to help students learn all the words they need to know to comprehend texts. What helps most is WIDE READING.  We should preteach words but we need to choose the right words. We also need to get kids reading at their level as much as we can, in school and at home.

After reading this chapter,  I am going to spend instructional time on tier 2 words. Also, I am going to go through the words that I pre-teach with certain texts and I am going to analyze the words and chose only the most important ones, the ones that will be critical for the students to understand the text.  I am going to make sure these are the words that are not defined in the text. The scaffolds presented in the chapter will be helpful.

My biggest takeaway from Chapter 12 “Context Clues and Word Parts” is that vertical planning is key when teaching roots, prefixes and suffixes.  I am going to talk to the second and fourth grade teachers about this.  Again, there are numerous scaffolds that will help. 

I loved chapter 13 “Fluency and Automaticity”. I learned so much from this chapter.  I will use the info in this chapter to help improve my instruction.  I feel like this is what I have been needing.  I have to go back and reread this chapter.  I am excited about this.  On page 220 there are questions to ask yourself- “Questioning My Fluency Practices”.  I questioned, reflected and am now making a plan to improve some of my instructional practices!!!!!

There are many good resources in Chapter 14 “Spelling” and Chapter 15 ”Phonics”.  I loved this whole section of the book.  The resources in the appendices are wonderful.

In reply to Christine Merry

Re: Week #4-Merry

by CarryAnne Reddick -
Love and agree the magic happens in small groups! Im lucky to see the growth and its exciting but also I see the struggles and can identify them so much easier. Voices are heard, makes me think of one my students who is silent I mean non responsive silent but in a small group he will answer questions and communicate, so I understand! We also love small groups!!

by Jessica Sullivan -
As a former middle school science teacher, I had my students work often in "stations". This allowed me to work with them in small groups and learn their struggles. As an administrator I have definitely seen the power of small groups in the elementary classroom. I believe that small group instruction leads teachers to have better knowledge of their students and therefore interventions sooner, when needed. This year I am planning to really focus on having our newer staff observe those teachers that do small group well. I think once teachers see the power of small groups, they will be sold on how valuable they canbe in the classroom.

by Wendy Rufa -
I was doing "praise hands" while reading your answer to 'breaking the code!' We too, as teachers have to 'break the code' of finding out what the exact diagnosis of reading difficulties.

by Erin Gray -
"I questioned, reflected and am now making a plan to improve some of my instructional practices!!!!!" Your eagerness to learn is contagious and your drive to always do better is inspiring. As one of my favorite singers once sung, "Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run, there's still time to change the road you're on." ~Led Zeppelin

by Brandi Harris -

I knew you would end up reading ALL of the chapters!  Such a great book.  I think we need to turnkey this information to our teachers at grade level or faculty meetings.

In reply to Brandi Harris

by Christine Merry -
I read every single page. I even reread some. I took a lot of notes. My book is a wreck! There is a ton of valuable information and so many great resources. Everyone who teaches reading should read this book. Turnkeying (is this even a word?) this information is a fabulous idea. Everyone can benefit from the info in this book, teachers and kids!!