Read Ch. 10 & 12 and 1 chapter of choice

Gray-Week 4

Gray-Week 4

by Erin Gray -
Number of replies: 2

Word work is something they learn in primary grades… but is it?

As mentioned in previous chapters, we never fully master reading.  There are times as adults when we struggle to understand a text and as our students grow, they will continue to come in contact with new words, further increasing their vocabulary.  So, no.  Word work continues, especially as students begin making connections to other words.

-How do we support students who did not master “breaking the code”?  
Topic knowledge is key when comprehending but knowing how much our students actually understand can also be shown in the way they use topic related vocabulary.  By questioning students in multiple ways about these words, it will help to show us what we need to teach.  However, we need to teach across all tier words for a child to fully understand. 

I would use the exercise Words Across Context to help guide this type of instruction when working with multiple meaning words.

To help "break the code" we also need to alter the way we speak about different topics.  The language the students are hearing from educators should be consistent across curriculum so that it is easier to make connections; linking academic vocabulary.  We need to "muscle-up" our words so that these connections can be made.

-What did you learn in this chapter and how will you apply it to your instruction?

It is important to spend more time on Tier 2 words as they will be seen more frequently and be needed to further understand Tier 3 words which are rare and mostly topic based.  Also, many problems arise not necessarily because a student doesn't understand the meaning of vocabulary, but because they cannot make an inference about the text.  Struggling readers don't know what those omissions are to fill in the gaps.  This being another reason why conversations among students are so important, so they can share their thinking, helping each other see what the other has left out.

-Small group instruction is most useful for remediation.

Do you incorporate these into your teaching?  How could you?

Most absolutely!  Small group instruction can be seen throughout the day during all subject areas in my room.  I always feel that this is where we get the biggest bang for our buck.  Nothing is black or white when educating a child.  This is the time to slow down for those that need to and give feedback that can be instantly put into practice. The observations, conversations and connections made during this time are what help these students to find success, build confidence and relationships that lead to improved learning.

-Name & Summarize (a few sentences) about the “other” chapter you read.

Chapter 11-Preteaching Vocabulary

We need to make sure to teach vocabulary words as they come up in context, throughout the books that we are currently working on and not just a random list of words up front with no connections other than the current reading.  When preteaching vocabulary words, we need to be very critical of the words we're deciding to teach.  These academic words used need to be ones that will be seen across curriculum, throughout the year.  It's not just about uncommon words.  The words we choose to teach need  to help our students get the central message of a text.

Students need to learn to depend on a text, being able to learn from it without us.  If we preteach words that are already defined in a text, we're just making them more dependent on us.  We need to be choosing words that are not explained to reach a higher level of thinking.

I will be trying to incorporate more semantic maps, word clusters and linear arrays to help students see word relationships and work meanings through peer conversations.

In reply to Erin Gray

Re: Gray-Week 4

by Christine Merry -
"It is important to spend more time on Tier 2 words as they will be seen more frequently and be needed to further understand Tier 3 words which are rare and mostly topic based."- We need to do a little research and come up with a plan to address tier 2 words. I have some ideas.
There were some things I started last year but as time ran out I let them go. Put this on our to-do list.
"So, no. Word work continues, especially as students begin making connections to other words."- This is another area we should look at. Now that we have this new learning, I feel like we can add to our word work portion of our day!
In reply to Erin Gray

Re: Gray-Week 4

by Emily Miller -
I agree that teaching vocabulary words is very important, I like that you think teaching vocab words that are in books or works we are CURRENTLY learning. I think this is so important because in the end it will make their fluency and overall understanding of vocabulary easier. Just learning words can be frustrating but if you are learning them while doing the current work, they are able to correlate it to what they are learning, and they may have an easier time.