Read Ch. 10 & 12 and 1 chapter of choice

Week #4- Fitzgerald

Week #4- Fitzgerald

by Megan Fitzgerald -
Number of replies: 4

Word work is something they learn in primary grades… but is it?

I believe that “word work” is crucial in the classroom of all grade levels. The reason I believe this is because we never stop learning new vocabulary. Even as an adult, I am constantly learning new words. I think the more exposure and practice students have, the more we set them up for success. Obviously, this goes hand in hand with many other factors as well. But like a puzzle, this is one of the key pieces. 

-How do we support students who did not master “breaking the code”? 

We can support students who did not master “breaking the code” by giving them strategies they need to improve where they are struggling. As a lifelong learner, I enjoy watching other teachers teach this process so I can then learn new strategies. 

-What did you learn in this chapter and how will you apply it to your instruction?

I really liked Figure 10.2 about the scaffold vocabulary. I think this upcoming year I need to work more on this. 

-Small group instruction is most useful for remediation. Do you incorporate these into your teaching?  How could you?

Small group instruction is always the answer. It is so beneficial for students! Working in the 15:1 classroom this past year, I constantly was creating small groups based on students' needs, especially during the Resource Room. My small groups would become even smaller groups if it meant it would benefit a student. 

-Name & Summarize (a few sentences) about the “other” chapter you read.

The chapter I decided to read was Chapter 14, “Spelling”. This chapter tells of all the changes in spelling research and the different stages. It also dived deeper into spelling scaffolds.

In reply to Megan Fitzgerald

Re: Week #4- Fitzgerald

by Devin Snyder -
Hi Megan! I agree with your point of learning new strategies. It is very important for students to know that it is never too late for them to learn different ways of being able to learn information.

by Kara Newtown -
Megan,

I also read Chapter 14, "Spelling" and found it very helpful in identifying the different stages students could be at within one classroom. Prior to reading this chapter I had no understanding on the different stages of a speller. I can see this being very helpful in identifying areas that a student is struggling developmentally and ways to help them reach the next level. I never knew you could tell so much about a students development based on their spelling.

by Errolynn Bero -
Hi Megan!
I also read chapter 14. I am really looking forward to diving into my students spelling stages this year and working to meet them where they are at and help them to continue to grow!

by Amanda Snyder -
Megan,

We can support students who did not master “breaking the code” by giving them strategies they need to improve where they are struggling. As a lifelong learner, I enjoy watching other teachers teach this process so I can then learn new strategies.
**I agree with this 100% as a substitute and as a T.A. now I love watching other Teachers teach students new strategies. I have learned so much over the years.
** I also read chapter 14 and hope to help the teachers with spelling groups this year if we break them into the stages they are at.