Read Ch. 10 & 12 and 1 chapter of choice

Week 4

Week 4

by Wendy Chapman -
Number of replies: 0

-How do we support students who did not master “breaking the code”?  

We have to communicate with our students and analyze what they need to be successful. The questions to determine what students know about words (10.1) would be beneficial to guide a teacher in the correct direction to help students.  

-What did you learn in this chapter and how will you apply it to your instruction?

While I knew the difference of high frequency words versus other vocabulary, I never looked at it like the Tier Words Triangle. In 5th grade most students already have their high frequency words mastered, but many still struggle with Tier 2 words, while I am teaching Tier 3 words. Then, I wonder why they are struggling understanding what they mean. For Math and ELA test prep (throughout the year) we already teach Academic Vocabulary, but I need to prepare Science Tier two words that students may know or understand. If they can master these words before introducing the Tier 3 words, they might be able to make connections and understand them better.

-Small group instruction is most useful for remediation.

Do you incorporate these into your teaching?  How could you?

Yes! Small group is where students do the majority of their deep thinking and learning, if you ask me.

-Name & Summarize (a few sentences) about the “other” chapter you read.

I chose to read chapter 11, mainly because I do not like skipping one. (It bothers me.) We just had a previous training on the importance of preteaching some important vocabulary before a student reads, so I was interested to see this book's outlook. I agree that it is very important to decide what words to preteach beforehand. If the reading defines it, don't do it for them. As the book also states, that encourages students to depend on us, not the text. We need to help them, become strong independent readers, not make them dependent on us. I personally do not care for many of the charts in the book used in this chapter but I could find the semantic map, like the one of pluralism, useful in a small group. I think kids would understand that.